Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Comparisons



I would like to make comparisons with some of the books I'm using for my paper.

I went to a library and found the section that has Dr. Seuss books. This particular library didn't have all of the  Dr. Seuss books I would like to use so after checking out the ones they had that I want to use I came home and looked up The Butter Battle Book online. I found the animated version of it, I'm not sure that's the best word to describe the cartoon or the televised/movie form of the book but anyway I watched it and I thought it was interesting. Sure I can read books using different voices for different characters but its definitely different to watch it play out rather than to read it and to look at the pictures. So that's one comparison. 
Oh and here's the link to watch the Butter Battle Book on Youtube.

I also noticed that the themes of some of Dr. Seuss' books seem to take on issues from the times they were written. For example, The Lorax gives the impression of addressing the environmental and endangered species issues; The Sneetches appears to do with the issue of race discrimination; and so on. 

In my opinion, a couple of the books can be compared to each other. The story of the Yax seems to me to be similar to the two groups in The Butter Battle Book and The Sneetches. If the North- or South-going Yax had just been willing to move one step sideways or step over the other there wouldn't have been a problem. If the Yooks and the Zooks didn't care how the others buttered their bread they would be friends and not enemies. If the star bellied sneetches hadn't thought themselves superior to the sneetches without stars on their bellies they would have been friends from the start. These three stories show that division among groups is not fun or nice or pleasant and could lead to bad endings. But if we are united then we are happy and life goes on.

I think that this has helped me to look beyond the text just a little and see how things are similar to each other even within the works of one author. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... that's a great point! I never thought of The Sneetches as being a political message or Dr. Seuss as being a political writer. Thanks for changing my perspective!

    ReplyDelete