Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Story "Eveline" as a Movie

In my 295 class, we are reading James Joyce and analyzing the literature to "join the conversation". Basically what that means is we want to be a part of the conversation that Joyce critics have amongst each other, and be able to have opinions and ideas to share. A story we read in this class earlier was a part of the Dubliners collection which I'm studying. The story was Araby and it was interesting to read it in two different classes and to get two different perspectives on the same story.
This set of stories has really caught my attention. I love the stories. Joyce was able to create characters and situations to explain what he believed was plaguing Ireland, especially Dublin-- Paralysis. Joyce wrote these stories to try to become a "savior" to Ireland by helping them realize that they were stuck, not moving or changing or taking control of their lives. He wrote each story to pertain with paralysis and the moment of epiphany where they realized how stuck they really were. Then, the stories would end and we wouldn't see what they did with that knowledge, leaving it to the reader to decide.
As I read these stories, I think about how amazing it would be to see these stories performed, with the director's and actors own perspectives on what happened. Joyce is very vague with his stories, so it can be analyzed any way and still possibly be correct. One I am currently reading that I really am enjoying is "Eveline". I would love to see this one performed, with someone like Amanda Seyfried as Eveline, Chris Pine as as Frank, Amy Adams as Mrs. Hill, Eveline's mother and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Mr. Hill, Eveline's father. I would love to see this created, because there is so many perspectives on the characters, especially Eveline and Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment