Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Going in Papi's Head

So for my other class, British Literature, I was assigned to write a 250-400 word modern stream of consciousness narrative. So for those who don't know what that is, it is similar to an interior monologue which is the thoughts of a character, typically fictional, not directed at an audience or a listener, and reveals something about the character's character. Another characteristic you'll notice very quickly is that there is little to no punctuation. It is the flow of thought, a stream of consciousness (hence the name) and thus requires no punctuation nor does it require full sentences. The modern part isn't entirely important because just about anything these days is "modern." 


I was trying to come up with some fictional character whose thoughts I could narrate and then I thought to myself, why not use a real life character and create fictional thoughts for them? I thought my idea was brilliant (who doesn't think that of their own ideas?) and I chose a past pet, my dog Papi, and I created some thoughts for him.

 

Oh boy oh boy I can’t wait for them to get home I like my bed but I want to play with my toys and run around and around and around and play I need to go potty should I go potty? They might come back soon and then I can go outside and I like outside I like the grass and the dirt and the sticks and the space and the birds I like to bark at the birds but they always fly away I don’t know why they do that I just want to talk to them but they don’t seem to like me but I like them and want to race them to the other end of the yard which is so big but then I get hot because it is so hot outside but sometimes when its hot I get ice cream and I really like ice cream when its hot it gets all melty and cold and wet I have to go potty Oh! A car! Maybe they’re home so I can go potty and play with my toys I want to play with the rope it is so fun to play with and they play with it too with me I like that its fun but I like to win and I like to get treats they are yummy I like the bones with the yummy stuff in the middle they taste so good yay they’re home! I can get out and run run run run run outside where’s the spot where is it don’t look I’m going potty now and now I’m done and can play with you its going to be great wait what we’re not going to play right now maybe we will go on a walk or not I guess we’re just going to sit here for a while and I can eat that thing on your lap ok I won’t do that then but please can we play when you’re done?



No comments:

Post a Comment