Thursday, June 6, 2013

Why I care so much about the Book of Mormon as literature

I love the Book of Mormon, and not only for the reading of its doctrine. I have read the Book of Mormon twelve times in my life, and every time I have read it I have been able to see its literary value.

I believe that it was written beautifully by those who kept the record, and there are even different styles from the differing authors who wrote within it. One can find first, second, and third person points-of-views throughout the entirely of the text. The poetry that is written therein; Nephi's Psalm (read from verse 16 until the end) is a common example of the Book of Mormon having literary values, including the frequent use of chiasmatic writings.

For instance, I love how Helaman 5:12 is written, in fact, it's even on my mission plaque:
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
I love this verse from the Book of Mormon because of how poetic it is, and for its written structure, with the use of repetitious words made therein.

And in addition to this, I have read it so many times that the manner in which it is written effects my personal writings - my private journal entries at home, and how I dictate my creative writings.

Jamie has written about how the Bible should be taught in public schools for its literary and historical values. I feel the same way about the Book of Mormon (in a Latter-day Saint school setting that is). I think that poetry, as we know it today, was greatly influenced by the Bible. The same thing could happen, if the Book of Mormon were tuaght as literature at BYU schools, as well as in Latter-day Saint run private and charter schools.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think the Book of Mormon had any influence on literature outside the Mormon circle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the Book of Mormon has had influence on literature outside the Mormon circle, but who's to say it hasn't or won't?

      Delete
  2. I love that you are describing the beauty in the writing. It makes it appear more than just scriptures that are to save us.

    ReplyDelete