Monday, June 3, 2013

Feedback for Book of Mormon Thesis

While having received plenty of feedback from people on a blog I posted on deviantArt, I was relatively surprised how much people didn't understand by looking at the Book of Mormon in a literary sense. Most, by default, thought of the doctrine of the Book of Mormon. I do realize how general my question was with the Book of Mormon being taught as literature for its literary merit. My purpose in asking the question was to simply test the waters with what people thought about the topic.

After considering what some people have asked for specifying what schools it should be taught, it's obvious that BYU schools would need to offer the course, and even Latter-day Saint private and charter schools. As I was discussing this my wife in the car today, she agreed that BYU schools would have to teach it, because the rest of the world just isn't ready for it, at least in the education perspective. Even people from deviantArt agreed with it being taught only at BYU simply because of the scrutiny it does and would receive by people who are not of the LDS faith.

Here's my revised thesis statement:
BYU schools should have the option as an English course to study the literary merits of the Book of Mormon, so that students who take such course can analyze the different styles/techniques in which the book was written, and can have a greater appreciation for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment