Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Feminist Literature: Victorian Period to the Modern Literature

I am not a Feminist. I've never been and I really doubt I ever will be. The reason that I am looking into feminist literature is because, no matter the literature, I feel like it is necessary to write something that can cause anyone to relate. The thing about the Victorian time period up into the early 1960's is that no matter what, I was able to relate to feminist works, not due to their feminist nature, but because I can relate to the emotions and the feelings of being trapped or held back. Though I don't agree with the social movement, I do realize the good that is within the text.
The modern writings within the feminist genre appear crude, unable to relate to anyone who isn't a feminist and just lacking the morals that differentiate it from a rant by a feminist and a story that can withhold the test of time. This text is often frustrating and insulting to me as a woman because it seems to be very one sided. If any other opinion was brought to the table, it would be ignored.
This is important to me. Feminism affects our world, still, even when things have changed and things are so much more different than they were 60 years ago. If we continue to allow feminism to change the world we live in, it needs to be for the better instead of for the bad. More perspectives is fine, but forcing a rant into the readers is too much. Victorian feminist literature has values that go past it's feminist message; it is able to speak of feelings involving being trapped or held back from your potential, which is something all people can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment