Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Poetry: Does Music Count?

I have continued to look into poetry, and I am starting to really enjoy sonnets. They are able to grab a hold of the emotions in fourteen lines that I believe the common literature does through hundreds of pages. I like to consider music as poetry, even though some do not reach the high bar that the term "poetry" upholds. Certain songs have been able to touch me and leave something with me long after I am done listening, much like poetry has done for our society for thousands of years. The sound of the music with the beat and meter leaves the listener to want to hear more. I never realized how much I could enjoy poetry when I really gave it a shot. I read Shakespearean sonnets mostly and have discovered the beauty, irony and/or funny nature of them. I guess what impresses me the most is that poetry can gain that emotion that reading literature does in a shorter way, or create a more intense writing like the epic poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment