Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Story of My Paper (Writing Process Pt 9/9)


1.   Pre-Thesis Statement Brainstorming: All I knew at this point was that I read Jane Eyre and I loved it enough to write a paper all about it.  Still, there was one part of the book (the Marsh End section) that didn’t work for me.  And I found out on Goodreads that it didn’t work for a lot of other people either.  I wanted to try and figure out why for my paper.  I used this post and a complimentary Goodreads discussion (messages 88-103) to work out my hypothesis: The text is working against itself. In general, the book’s content tears down traditional gender expectations.  But its genre (gothic romance) creates these very gender expectations within readers.  We as readers grow impatient with the Marsh End section because it breaks with the genre by presenting Jane with new opportunities for equality with men.  Which makes the book’s “feminist” content all the more relevant to us, in light of our disappointment.

2.   My Tweethis Statements:  I used Dr. Burton’s “Better Thesis Statements” presentation to come up with five tweethis statements.  I was very willing to experiment and try new things here.  For example, if my idea at the time was a policy claim, but I couldn’t make it fit well into a definition claim, I would look around for a new idea rather than settle.  I tried to make my claims as different as possible one from another, without losing sight of my original topic.  I thought this was a good exercise because it got me to consider lots of different possibilities, so that when I did select one, I could really be happy with it.  I continued to post on the Goodreads discussion.  My ideas sparked some lively conversation.  The Goodreads people liked my ideas, but they didn’t let me get overexcited.  They showed me where I might have trouble backing up my argument, and suggested how I might qualify it.

3.   Reflections on my pre-writing process:  I took a more careful look at the feedback that I had received up until now.  My 295 classmate Chrys had given me a thorough response to my first post.  In it, she assumed that I would be writing a research paper.  As I re-read my first post, I could see why.  I was taking on some big issues that went outside of the scope of the novel itself.  So I came up with a more specific thesis statement.

4.   A Set of Quotations: As I outlined my paper, I asked exactly what kinds of opportunities for feminine equality the Marsh End section gave to Jane.  As I looked for quotes, I noticed that Jane’s concept of liberty for women (and her concept of liberty in general) changes throughout the novel.  I became interested, and, after reading other students’ “Say Why You Care” posts, I decided to follow my interest.  (Ironically, I had chosen my original topic based on the one section of Jane Eyre that did not interest me, out of some bizarre need to assimilate it into the rest of the novel.)  As an LDS woman, I found it fascinating that Jane ultimately arrives at a concept of liberty that embraces being a mother and housewife.  And I wanted to know just how she did it.  I tried to trace that journey with my list of quotes.

5.   An Incoherent Close Reading: As I made my set of useful quotations from Jane Eyre, I also took note of some of the literary elements.  I was not looking for any one element in particular.  I cast a wide net. But since I did this close reading along with my list of quotes on liberty, I noticed a pattern.  In Jane Eyre, liberty is often discussed in using metaphors of cages, prisons, and fetters.  Ultimately, my paper took this focus.

6.   Preliminary Draft: I went ahead and got all my ideas down instead of stopping halfway because I wanted to show my paper to my…relative.  (I’m not sure exactly what he is to me, but his name is Adam and he comes to Sunday dinners at my grandparents’ house and he studied English and he likes Jane Eyre.)  He thought I had a unique and thought-provoking approach.  He also wrote down some great comments: “Does liberty include love?  If so, how?  Is domesticity always a reference to some particular kind of cage—even when ‘actively’ chosen?  Are you comparing your idea of liberty to slavery?  If so, you could draw on the metaphors of slavery used throughout the novel as the opposite of liberty—both references include relationships to the other.  You seem to need a strong conception of liberty that includes other humans and not simply a ‘flight’ into the expanse of nature.”

7.   General Literary Reference Work: When I went to the library for my 295 class, I took the opportunity to ask the English librarian how I could find out more about Bridewell in Jane Eyre.  He showed me how to get to the Oxford Reference really quickly and I found exactly what I was looking for!

8.   Draft: Even though I wasn’t ready to incorporate all of Adam’s suggestions yet, I re-organized and added to my paper a bit.  Kirsten King reviewed my draft.  She appreciated my diction and sound arguments.  She found the draft interesting and easy to follow, even though she had never read Jane Eyre.  She showed me how I could strengthen my conclusion and get my in-text citations right.

9.   FINAL DRAFT: Ta-da! (The essay content is 1,991 words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment