Saturday, June 8, 2013

Fairytales

I know its seems too late to do this but I'm changing topics. On Thursday night, I made the decision that I didn't want to write about Dr. Seuss. Nothing against him or his work I just didn't feel like I had a good reason. What was my reason? I won't say because its not important. What's important is that on Thursday I made up my mind to do something else and I waited to tell you about it until right now. So I was talking to my mom about what I should do and she was tossing some ideas at me and talking through them and I said "Well, I don't want to do any of those. But, I like retellings," and from there we started talking about a way that this could take off for me. So a way that we came up with is that you can learn from them.



Possible thesis: Some people may think that retellings are dumb because they already know how it ends, but sometimes you can learn more from the retelling because the writer embellishes/elaborates on what is considered to be the hidden/less important facts of a story.

I talked to my British literature teacher about the subject after class yesterday and asked her what she thought about it. She has taught the class this paper is for and so she gave me some insight on how she would have her students do such a paper. She said that she would have them use a theory they had learned in the class to add to their topic. i could use adaptation theory but it would be more work than I need to do right now. So she talked about focusing on a few retellings of one story and discussing the different ways the story turned out from the different focuses of the authors and how it brought new meaning. A guy in that class had stayed after to say something to my teacher too and he gave me some help by directing me to a website called writingexcuses.com  where four authors make 15 minute podcasts on different writing topics. One of the podcasts they have done is about retellings and adaptations. So I looked it up and listened to the podcast. I liked it and found it helpful with somethings that I could add to my paper.

I would probably focus on fairytales because that's the kind of person I am. I like to read them and watch them and stuff. Plus, there are a lot of fairytale adaptations out there.

As a kid you read fairytales for fun because they're nice stories. When you get older, the stories mean more to you and have more applicable morals.

Yes I've seen Wicked and know that it is a retelling. Yes, I watch the Once Upon a Time TV series. I have seen movie adaptations of fairytales and read a number of books that retell or adapt fairytales.

I really like fairytales and I want to share my love of them with others and make them see that there is a point in reading them and watching them. That is why I want to write about this topic. I will probably end up revising my thesis after I write some of my paper because that's the order I usually do it in. I write the middle of my paper, make a thesis based on what I've said, then do the intro and conclusion and am done. I know it's kind out of order for how to do it "correctly" but it works for me.

Can I use TV and movies which are types of drama to help argue my point?

1 comment:

  1. It sounds as though you have plan that could work out really great. It seems that you should be able to use media to help you argue your point since we have used social media all term. I grew up with fairy tales and have loved them too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete