Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The story of my paper

"The story of my paper" in which you talk about its genesis and development. Be sure that you bring into this the social component and how that played into your paper's development, and be sure that you link back to all the posts that contributed to your final paper.

So my paper was not always going to be about fairytales. In fact, it was going to be about Dr. Seuss up until the time the half draft was due. So up to that point all of the blogs and readings and such were about Dr. Seuss. There's the blog where I talk about how I felt about some topics but I didn't really make a decision until the blog post that included a thesis in several ways which is when I had settled on the topic of Dr. Seuss. After that was the blog about the social component of my thesis and the responses I got to it. Then, there are two blogs that I wrote to go through with the assignment to pick at least 2 of 9 options. The first was the summaries I wrote of some of the Dr. Seuss books I had planned on using in my paper and the second was the comparisons I made between my some of the books I wanted to use.

This is the point where the half draft was supposed to be and I decided that I didn't really care about the Dr. Seuss topic. I wrote a blog with a new thesis statement and some ideas I had for the paper. Then of course I had to get my half draft together and post it on the blog and soon after that was the literary reference work that we had to find and use with our paper. I did write a summary for a book called The Thirteenth Princess which is a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. I read it to help with my paper and I really enjoyed it. I didn't post my rough draft on the blog (we didn't have to) but I did send it to my mom, my sister, and a woman that I used to babysit for who introduced me to several of the stories I used for my paper. This woman really likes fairytales and their retellings and so I asked her to read my rough draft and she liked and was able to give me some helpful advice: 

"I loved your paper, although you know how I love retellings. I enjoyed hearing all the differences, and your take on the stories themselves... something that I remember hearing in a class was that the stories that the Grimm bros. collected were told and passed down to teach a lesson to the children, and I am sure that even when they were written down there were a lot of different retellings even then (that last is just my personal opinion), I think even now authors are still looking to teach lessons with them. I think shortening the passages that you had already outlined for shortening is solid, and focusing on the differences is a good idea. I think that we all come away learning a different lesson as well, which could be one of the reasons there are so many retellings of the same stories... same very basic core, yet completely different stories! 
I know it is probably to late for your paper, but if you are interested in reading another 12 Dancing Princesses book there is also The Night Dance by Suzanne Weyn who puts the perspective in one of the knights of the round table after his time in King Arthurs count... I think Sir Galahad... I thought it was fun because the author tries to give the princesses a place and time in history! Anyways, thanks for letting me read your paper, I loved it, and think you did a good job! Good luck with it!"


I wasn't really sure how to incorporate the first bit into my paper and I didn't have enough time to incorporate The NIght Dance although it is a good book and is relevant to my paper. Maybe a different paper. I don't think my husband read my paper which I think will be the first one of mine that he hasn't looked over before I submitted it. That's ok, if he wants to I'll let him read it sometime. 

So, this is the final draft of my paper. I hope you enjoy it!
Retelling Classic Fairy Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment