Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nonfiction reading

So last week I was reading nonfiction. I read scriptures, sermons, travel writing, fellow classmates' nonfiction writing, cooking recipes, how to, and another that I'm not entirely sure how to classify. Its a book my aunt gave me when I got married, its called What Every Wife Wants Her Husband to Know. Its kind of a book of advice so we'll go with that as a subgenre. So far its kind of interesting because it is this woman talking about how best to communicate with your spouse and other things like that.

I also read a blog post that was posted on Facebook. It is about Seth Adam Smith (I don't know him)who is an LDS member who went through a crisis of faith and decided to write about what to do when someone is having trouble with their faith. At the beginning he talks about where it started, and how he left his mission early (that linked to another blog post about what he would do if he could go back, also really good). I think that I liked these two blogs because it was something that can be relatable to the reader. It also had some really good insight that can be applied by anyone. An example of this is in the post about his mission and what he would change, I felt like I could relate to him and what he was suggesting even though I've never been on a mission. I think that when writing it is important to keep in mind that readers are more interested when they can relate to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment