Monday, June 3, 2013

Reviewing Feedback

After writing my thesis I posted it on Facebook and Twitter and asked for feedback. No one did anything, just like I predicted at the end of this blog post. So I talked about my thesis with my husband, parents, sister, and a couple of close friends. They really liked it and the topic and one said that as long as I provide detailed examples of the lessons provided, I would have an awesome paper. They thought it was arguable, that people would take to different sides, and even gave some counter argument ideas for me to work with. I noticed that on the blog post, some people have commented with some constructive criticism, suggestions, and some agreement with my thoughts. After doing a little more thinking and discussing, I decided that maybe what I wanted to say is that adults who read Dr. Seuss with their kids have an advantage over those who do not read Dr. Seuss because the ones who do are reviewing and unintentionally relearning life lessons while spending time with and teaching their children.

So maybe that is my revised thesis statement. It is kind of similar to my old one but instead of adults should read Dr. Seuss, its about the ones who already do.

Adults who read Dr. Seuss with their kids have an advantage over adults who do not read Dr. Seuss because the ones who do are reviewing and perhaps unintentionally relearning life's lessons while teaching and spending time with their children.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great thesis statement, and I definitely a step up. It comes off, to me, as a comparison claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please write your paper in the form of Dr. Seuss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish. That would be pretty cool. Maybe I'll do a short version of my paper in Dr. Seuss form and post it on the blog. No promises though.

      Delete
  3. That is an interesting claim Clarissa. I happen to agree with you! There are many Dr. Seuss books that I still think about that have taught me and my children good lessons. Some that really stand out are The Star Bellied Sneetches--issues of prejudice and discrimination and Oh The Places You'll go--taking charge of your life and facing difficulties.

    The Butter Battle Book--This book was praised by many as something that should be read by "all those who shape nuclear weapons policy in the United States and the Soviet Union." Congressman Edward J. Markey, Massachusetts). I happen to like it because it showed the futility of letting arguments escalate and get out of hand (I knew sisters who did this and died without ever talking to each other for over 40 years). Other examples of books written with a thought provoking tone are The Lorax and Horton Hears a Who. There is much more to Dr. Suess books than meets the eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you named several of the books that I am planning on using and a couple that I will probably add to the list. So thanks!

      Delete