Monday, June 3, 2013

Reflections on my pre-writing process (Writing Process Pt 3/9)


Well I was sure pleased to see my 295 classmate Chrys patiently pick her way through my tangle of almost-thoughts (those things that show up in my head bearing the Real Thoughts’ regrets that they will be so tardy).  Among other things, her thorough response impressed upon me the difficulty of finding a happy medium between the blogger’s realm of “Wasn’t the guy who played Rochester in [insert favorite film adaptation here] totally hot??” or “Confession time.  Would you ever actually marry a course, blind cripple on the verge of bankruptcy?” and its opposite, the realm heavily jargon-ed research stuff.  (Believe it or not, such a happy medium is sometimes harder than academic research.  It bears the intellectual challenge of unfolding and simplifying the great and mysterious.  Yes, I’m paraphrasing President Taylor here.)

So I decided to look for a group of readers who would be capable of discussing Jane Eyre intellectually without the full program of a theoretical background.  I went straight to goodreads.

I posted on book reviews, discussions of genre in general, and more, but I got the most positive engagement on a popular discussion based on, “Saint John being a bit of an ****.”  (Now I know what you’re thinking, but I promise the discussion actually did manage to provoke some intelligent conversation.  Here’s the link.  My comments start at Message 88.)  Readers have been frustrated with the St. John Rivers/Marsh End section since forever it seems like.  So I took that frustration as my point of entry.  Along with most everyone in the discussion, I essentially asked, “Why are we so impatient with St. John, and are we justified?”  But whereas most people pointed to St. John’s defects (his ****edness), I went for a more fundamental explanation.  “After all,” I said, “we as readers have a great capacity to love horrendous characters if the author so wishes.  Mr. Rochester is an obvious example.  And even though Bertha is freaky, we like her presence in the story too.”

Here’s a summary of my online thought process (go to the goodreads link if you want to see the conversation that informed all this):  Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre as a Gothic romance. So, naturally, we want to see Rochester, our Gothic hero, get his act together so he can marry Jane. Instead, we are given a seven-chapter disruption at Marsh End.  And no matter how beneficial that disruption might be to Jane’s growth, it’s going to cause us some irritation.  But if you think about it, up to that point, Mr. Rochester has literally been Jane’s ONLY hope of being treated as someone other than an inferior.  So isn’t us wanting Rochester to rescue Jane without further delay kind of selling Jane short?  Shouldn’t we allow her the opportunity to at least consider other grounds for equality, so that she can decide for herself what kind of marriage she wants?

So anyway, the goodreads folks asked good, challenging questions, they gave me positive feedback, I got some more helpful comments on my tweethis statementsjkl;aejfl;ksfj… here’s my updated thesis statement:

By breaking genre expectations, the Marsh End chapters of Jane Eyre can cause readers to experience an ironic disappointment with Jane’s new opportunities for equality, exposing a villain within readers themselves.

3 comments:

  1. This is a perfect example of the process I hoped to see happen of evolving your argument through social engagement and critique. Do you think your revised thesis would create meaningful discussion within that same goodreads group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "group", Do you mean something outside of the discussion board? I made a new goodreads friend Lynne through the discussion and she and I have been having some good dialogue. I haven't tried it posting my thesis elsewhere on the group though. I don't want to spam them.

      Delete