Friday, May 31, 2013

Pre- Thesis Statement Brainstorming (Writing Process Pt 1/9)


I read some literary criticism…whatsup?  Jane Iterare by Tita French Baumlin and James S. Baumlin.  It’s a post-Jungian analysis of Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, and it’s pretty good once you’ve waded through
all
the
crazy
jargon.

I really only knew two or three things about this Jung fellow before I read the article.
  1.  He’s a famous psychologist.  (Or rather, he would be famous if Freud didn’t already have the corner on that.)
  2. You’re supposed to pronounce his name differently than I always think, but I of course don’t remember how.
  3. He like totally had an affair.
So while I could appreciate Dr. Lundquist’s apparent confidence in me (she’s the one who assigned the article), I don’t think I actually qualified as part of Baumlin & Baumlin’s target audience.  That being said, there were a few things that caught my interest.  The authors brought new meaning to each of the characters in Jane Eyre by relabeling them as projections of different parts of Jane’s “self".  They made all these cool connections because they analyzed the novel as a “rebirth myth” which is a very narrow subgenre brought to our attention by Mr. Jung (Yoong? Hungie?) himself.

I do like seeing the various layers of meaning that can be found when critics analyze the same book as an autobiography, a religious coming-of-age story, a female coming-of-age story, a social criticism, and a “rebirth myth,” alternatively.  But I also find it a little strange that after spending all of Spring semester up to this point studying nothing but Jane Eyre in my 295 class, I have only seen filmmakers seriously treat the novel (with it’s castle-like setting, decidedly dark male interest, and mysterious midnight murder attempts) the way it practically screams to be treated—as a Gothic romance.  Why?  I'll tell you why.  Gothic literary critics have a seven-chapter obstacle to deal with called St. John Rivers.  Rivers goes against the grain of every Gothic romantic expectation you ever thought of entertaining.  Of him, another literary critic by the name of Emily Griesinger wrote, “But most readers today either despise him completely or, like some of my students, skim this section quickly to find out what happened to Jane’s real man, Edward Rochester.“  Many filmmakers simply cut him out.  And literary critics, it appears, have moved on to other genres for interpretive lenses.  But if you ask me, they have left the Gothic romance business woefully unresolved.

Imagine this instead:  Rene Girard is right.  Myths (genres, archetypes…it’s still all the same to me) really have been used throughout history to disguise and justify acts of collective oppression.  The Gothic romantic elements in Jane Eyre actually combine to keep Jane worse off in a Victorian patriarchy.  According to the Gothic romantic template, we would expect our hero Mr. Rochester’s unlikely adoration to be Jane’s only hope for independence.  But what kind of an independence would that be?  Even Jane’s “independence” would depend upon a man’s charity.  If this really is the feminist novel that it is said to be, then Jane should need to determine her own destiny.  So, she steps out of all the Gothic romantic shackles for a while (for 7 chapters, to be precise), and who should she meet but St. John Rivers who offers her perhaps the deepest lure for a woman seeking equality, “that of adopting a man’s cause or career and making it her own” (Adrienne Rich, yet another literary critic of Jane Eyre).  But after some careful introspection, Jane rejects that offer.  She will not abandon her passion altogether.  She will defend and value her femininity.  And as soon as she realizes that, she receives a supernatural (Gothic) revelation that sends her back to Edward Rochester, who is ready to marry her on equal terms.  In sum, all that time spent with St. John Rivers made it so that—"unlike Emily Bronte’s Catherine, who is driven by her demon lover, Heathcliff, to a socially correct marriage and later to her death"--Jane Eyre could take a step back, look within herself, and determine the kind of marriage she wanted of her own free will (Baumlin and Baumlin).  Only then we could have our happy, oppression-free, ending.

Anyway, that’s kind of what I’m looking at for my paper.  Feedback is encouraged.  Tweethis statements are on their way.  In fact, if you have any thesis statement suggestions after reading all this, please send ‘em my way!

(Shoot, I really am turning out to be a feminist, aren’t I?  Just my luck.)

No, Doctor Burton, I am not double counting my essay from 295 for this class.  Unfortunately, I only had this mild stroke of genius after I had already turned in an unrelated 295 essay on Jane Eyre.  Although, I wouldn’t put it past myself to do such a thing.  So you were right to wonder, if you did.

6 comments:

  1. You are saying, in your future thesis, that genres (like the Gothic romance)have been used throughout history to disguise and justify oppression?

    How does this fit in with Jane Eyre?

    It seems you contradict yourself when you say that Jane Eyre, though a Gothic and a genre notorious for being silly and anti-feminist (Jane Austen famously lampoons the whole genre in Northanger Abbey), goes against the grain and is NOT oppressive in the end (despite the "happy end" and seeming embrace of "separate spheres" virtues of marriage and happy home and hearth).

    Or are you saying that Jane Eyre just adds to this body of genre/myth that oppresses women? Is that your thesis?

    I guess I'm a bit confused by your thought process right now.

    Oppressive to whom? Minorities? Women? Are you talking about the rampant colonialism of the Victorian Age?

    I guess I would want to see a more specific, pointed, thesis.

    Also, are you looking at this through a feminist lens? What, exactly, do you want to prove with your thesis?

    Genre (because I'm not sure Gothic romance is an archetype since archetypes are models of personality, person or behavior...they are symbolic and represents an embodied idea. There are certain archetypes in certain genres or myths) has been oppressive, but Jane Eyre broke the mold because of the St. John chapters? Can you prove this? Which sources, besides the sources cited, could you use?

    I think it is a good idea for a paper, but you need to be able to prove the first idea with more sources and background than a secondary source like Girard (i.e. genre has been used to oppress certain populations such as minorities or women)and we would need to understand the significance of this thought. Certainly, such an argument (if you dismiss Jane Eyre as another book in an oppressive genre) would provide an interesting dialectic when it came to your thesis argument!

    There are plenty examples of the oppressive nature of genre in literature contemporaneous to Jane Eyre, btw. But, I also think you will need to use historical and original sources to bolster your argument.

    You are taking on a lot of argument...a lot to prove...when you talk about genre like this. But it is definitely an interesting idea.

    Still, I would want to know exactly WHY and HOW Jane Eyre uses the convention of Gothic romance and why the book is important when studied as such...and if we should dismiss it as nothing more than a silly genre? Are you saying that Jane Eyre is *both* anti and proto feminist?

    Hope this helps with clarification of your argument and that my comments are useful to you.

    :0) Krista Clement

    P.S. Personally, I think there is so much that is psychologically rich in he text, that I would hesitate to dismiss it as a mere Gothic genre romance novel. JMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is awesome, Krista. Thanks a lot. You done good!

      Delete
  2. Maybe something like this for a thesis statement: Jane Eyre should be treated as a Gothic romance despite the apparently incongruous scene at Marsh End, because its Gothic elements create patriarchal gender expectations that define Jane’s struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good! Yes!! And I definitely see how you can support it. Which scene do you refer to? St. John's proposal? Or do you mean the whole section after her flight from Thornfield? When I was researching in the MLA database I did find some articles about Jane Eyre as a Gothic...so you will have plenty of secondary sources to choose from. Yay! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I feel like I'm so late on this conversation, but after this post got brought up in class, I had to read it.
    Jane Eyre is my favorite. book.

    And I've read it three times, treating it differently each time. The first time it was nothing but a good story with new words to be learned and empowering quotes to memorize. Everyone has to read it that way at some point.

    The second time, I tried to analyze Jane's character, Edward's character....I tried to analyze the characters more thoroughly. The things they would've said if Brontë had made a point of punching out their stream of thought.

    The third time was much more analytical. I paid more attention to kairos: what was going on when the book was written. What was happening in the world SURROUNDING the characters of the book (if that makes sense)...and how it affected them. So what I'm saying is: I completely agree with the analysis you've made here. I can't say that I picked up on it myself (not quite as sharp as you), but I think you're right.

    The seven chapters where she's offered what her "free-human-being-with-an-independent-will" kinda soul has always wanted--equality of treatment--they are so frustrating, because you want her to be happy with that proposition, but you know she never will be. Or she never WOULD be if she chose Mr. Rivers' course. No way.

    Perhaps you've already come across this quote, but if not, I'll post it here. It's the analysis I identified most closely with.

    "Jane Eyre is throughout the personification of the unregenerate and undisciplined spirit, the more dangerous to exhibit from that prestige of principle and self-control which is liable to dazzle the eye too much for it to observe the inefficient and unsound foundation on which it rests. It is true Jane does right, and exerts great moral strength, but it is the strength of a mere heathen mind which is a law unto itself. No Christian grace is perceptible upon her."

    --Eliza Riby, writer of the Quarterly Review.

    Why that quote? Because it argues the Gothic aspect of the genre (archetype, or...whatever. All the same to me). When you say Gothic, I think of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or Bram Stoker's Dracula. There's some kind of absence of deity. A connection to the supernatural, as you mentioned above, but not necessarily any element of Godlike morale.

    I don't know. Maybe I'm missing the mark.

    ReplyDelete