Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sabotage Response


Hello, I’m from the drama group.  Yes, the group that pretty much got the pity award at the end of the “write an abbreviated sonnet in ten minutes” exercise.  We had wanted to do a response to the Beastie Boys' Sabotage music video that we watched in class, but it just didn't work out.  So in an effort both to redeem our group and to update my personal learning plan, I’m going to do a variation on this sonnet.  (I’ve always struggled with writing out my personal learning plan on the blog because I can’t imagine how it would be interesting to anyone aside from Dr. Burton and myself.  But maybe with an entertaining poetic form, you’ll forgive me for the more personal content.)

Who built this handsome world behind my eyes?
It’s quite like nothing that I’ve ever seen.
Whose voice, what words, which form hath made it rise?
And what the deuce does “PENtaMEEter” mean?
I’ve set about to learn such things and more.
I’ll comb through Poe and Frost and William Blake.
Romances, odes, and epics, I’ll explore.
With literary critics, I’ll debate.
     Yes, do be careful, if you please, young man,
     So’s not to sabotage my precious plan.

This post took me twenty minutes instead of ten, but I hope you won't hold it against me.

4 comments:

  1. That was entertaining! And in only 20 minutes, I am impressed. Good luck with the "young man" part--they can be very distracting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, THAT WAS AMAZING DANIELLE! You are so cool, and that poem was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I laughed at the what the deuce part. Worthy response to sabotage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! I hereby declare your group redeemed. (Not that you amazing guys needed it, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete