Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Theater vs. Film

In this case, I'm going to look at The Phantom of the Opera, because it is drama after all - a musical drama. A few months ago, my wife and I watched the performance at BYU. Both of us were amazed with the music, the acting, and the talents that were put into it. I also remember watching the movie with Gerard Butler as the Phantom.
The live performance actually felt real when I was watching it, the movie not so much. When you watch something live, you are right there. In a theater the actors are performing for an audience versus Hollywood where actors are performing for the camera.
 When it comes to drama, and comparing the stage to Hollywood, the audience has the opportunity to somewhat participate with the performance. With a movie, you'll laugh, cry, get angry, etc., but that's just it though. With a live performance you are required to focus on more than just one thing going on at a time.

 

5 comments:

  1. I feel like both theatre and film have their strong points. I saw Les Miserables on stage and in the theatre, and it was different. The story was more understandable in a movie where they could move through scenes easier, but there was something personal on the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts makes me really ashamed that I haven't actually watched a formal play on stage. Though I cannot relate, I can liken what you are saying to being at a concert vs. listening to music at home. It really doesn't compare when I think about it that way. I think that, as you mentioned, the fact that the audience can in someway participate is what really makes the difference. You brought back to my awareness how important it is for me to really get out there and watch a play, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't sweat over it too much. But try to attend one. The school will be presenting "Pirates of Penzance" in the middle of June. Go see that one. It's a musical by the way. My wife loves the show. Her parents used to run a musical theater here in Provo.

      Delete
  3. You make some very good points. The Producers was one of my favorite movies and then I got the opportunity to see it on broadway. I found that I liked the theater version much better and I think it might have been because of the atmosphere of it. When something was funny it wasn't just me laughing, it was the whole audience and the actors could feel that and it determined the energy of the show. Plus there is just something about the adrenaline you feel when you know if the actors mess up they can't do a retake as in film. It's more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about actors messing up while on stage. When I saw Shakespeare in the Park the other night, the man was playing the role of Thisby lost his wig during the act, and so he had to improvise until he put the wig back on. And even though he messed up his part, he was able to recover from it right on the spot, and that made the show even better for me.

      Delete