Thursday, May 23, 2013

Les Miserables, Then and Now


Les Miserables, 1995
This was the first professional musical (opera?) I ever saw.  I was ten and sick and I didn’t have high expectations.  I only watched it because my old-lady neighbor brought it over on film so that I wouldn’t be both sick and bored.  I thought that was nice of her, even though I would probably end up bored all the same.  Boy, was I wrong.



Les Miserables, 2012
I watched this version yesterday as part of my post-mission film catch-up and personal learning plan.  When I asked my dad if it was going to be a musical, he said, “They do sing like 40 percent of the time.  Or is it like 70 percent?  …Wait, was that entire movie really singing?”



The scene that most stuck with me from the 1995 version of Les Miserables was the song "I Dreamed a Dream" by Fantine (Ruthie Henshall).  She stood in front of a microphone in her dignified make-up, hair, and dress and sung on an open, unfurnished stage.  Most of the tragedies that she suffered were described through highly stylized song rather than acted out.  In some ways, the formality of it all resembled ancient Greek drama, as described in the Delbanco and Cheuse textbook: "This formality may...make these ancient dramas seem overly regulated or ritualistic for modern tastes.  However, when you consider the material that the play puts forward--murder, incest, child abuse, and a madness that questions language that comes directly from the gods--you can see how the playwright achieves a certain stability with all of this potentially frenzied subject matter by grounding the intense emotions in such a formal fashion" (1100).  I felt that the affected music was great for evoking the emotional impact of traumas too horrible to be reproduced onstage.  Also, Fantine's refined physical appearance could represent an inner value and dignity that she preserved through all the misery.

The 2012 version, like most modern cinema, took a more realistic approach.  The settings, costumes, and action reproduced scenes so true to life that my dad hardly even noticed the singing.  This is an effective approach when we are dealing with a plot in which, "...every man or woman can be a kind of hero. You need not be aristocratic or from an imperial family to have a tale worth telling or a fate that matters to others" (1277).

7 comments:

  1. Haha! Danielle! My mom made me watch that same PBS 10th anniversary edition when I was little and I thought I would hate it, but then I loved it so much and I would watch it all the time and listen to the soundtrack. Since then I've seen the play three times and I love the new movie. I agree with you that you forget they are singing, but my husband DEFINITELY wouldn't. He hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les Miserables is a fantastic musical. The only thing I have to pick on it for was the movie's rendition of "Bring Him Home". Hugh Jackman shouted it rather than sang. It's supposed to be a prayer, a lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw the first version. My first experience with Les Miserables was watching it on stage about 4 years ago. I fell in love with it on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the broadway musical in the late 1980's and absolutely loved it! That is what brought me to the book. I haven't seen the PBS version. I will have to watch it too. I've seen the Liam Neeson version (not a musical). I also watched the 2012 musical. So far I have liked the broadway musical the best. But nothing compares with the book. I thought it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that none of the musicals or films can compare to the book, but the movie with Liam Neeson was pretty good though.

      Delete
  5. YES. I loved the "rawness" of the most recent Les Miserables. Yeah, the singing wasn't the best--not even close to the professional version--but the acting was much more real, more more heart-wrenching. I think that is necessary in film. When you're that close to Fantine's face...you want to see the dirt in it. You want to see her tears.

    That's the difficulty in comparing two different formats of musical presentation.

    ReplyDelete