Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Term, Non-fiction

I have a greater appreciation for this genre than I did a week ago. I never realized how much of it I actually read. When I read Martin Luther King's "I Had a Dream", I never thought of the genre of it. I guess a part of me did not even realize it could have it's own drama. When I thought of "nonfiction", I thought of autobiographies and personal essays. It never came to me that there is so much more to nonfiction. There's speeches, scriptures, sermons, theology, philosophy, and more. It's funny how almost all forms of writing can be seen as literature when seen through the right eyes. I read a poem and analyzed it, called "Casey at the Bat". It wasn't all that intellectually puzzling or led to strange forms of analysis, but it had an overall theme that as a child, I could take with me through life. I've realized that it doesn't have to be the ancient scrolls or a Shakespearean play to be considered literature. It just has to have meaning, and something for the reader to search for.
In all honesty, not all writings are a form of literature. It is astounding how many actually are, though. This section has opened my eyes more than any other, because now I realize that everything can and possibly does have a deeper meaning than we believe, at first.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I was astounded as well. In my mind nonfiction was biographies and the Nat Geo channel on tv. I can't believe how much of it I actually read and what's more, I actually enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonfiction went from boring to interesting in one week!

      Delete