Monday, May 20, 2013

Watching A Play


I totally know Hermia!  And, no, not in the “find yourself in the play” sense.  Her name is Sara.  We went to church and school together.  She’s my friend, although we haven’t really kept in touch since high school.  But the fact that I knew her changed the whole Shakespeare in the Park experience for me.  I started thinking about our own comedies and tragedies, and wondered how all of that added up to Sara performing Shakespeare here in front of me on a grassy knoll in Orem.

And then I made a classic rookie mistake.  Comedies are supposed to distance audience members from the characters’ emotions so that we can poke fun of their agony at leisure.  But things were different now that I knew Hermia.  When Hermia’s lover, her best friend, and her betrothed started to gang up on her, I felt truly sorry.  I got all caught up in the tension until I could remind myself that this was a comedy, that things would end happily, and that I came here to laugh after taking my midterms.

But if you think about it, even without knowing a single actor, I bet you each person in that audience had a completely different experience with the play. That’s why we need classes like Literary Interpretation.  Because there are so many stinking interpretations.  And now, I am talking about “finding yourself in the play.”  Not only did I bring my own interpretive lens to the production, but each production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream I’ve ever seen is so completely different that I hardly notice they are using the same script.  The cast does some interpreting of its own.  Now add to that the fact that a play is live characters performing to a live audience.  In the Saturday-night production at least, that meant that when a little boy ran onstage, the overconfident Bottom quickly stepped forward (in character) to both handle the situation and work the stage once more.  We now have so many layers of interpretation that the original play almost gets lost.

This brings up some classic questions about literature.  What is the purpose of drama (and art in general), especially if we are all going to interpret it anyway?  I mean why don’t we all just use our own imaginations in the place of art, if that’s what we are essentially doing?  How much does the artwork change us?  And how do we change the artwork?

1 comment:

  1. Your questions there really provoked some thoughts! I think that when it comes to drama, for instance, as you mentioned, we do interpret it in different ways. What is fun, though, is what these interpretations can tell us about ourselves, and how comparisons in how we interpret things can tell us about others and how they think alike or differently than us. I think that art in general is as much a portrait of the artist and his or her ideas as a portrait of admirers as they interpret the art.

    I also think that there is kind of a midway point to describe the extent to which art changes us and how we change art. Art can introduce an idea that can have an effect on us, but simultaneously we pour in our preconceived ideas to make sense of art. Overall, I think it is just a process that nicely depicts human nature.

    But of course, these are just my interpretations hehe.

    ReplyDelete