Sunday, May 5, 2013

A lovely way to pass the time.

I spend most of my Saturdays working on projects for my blog, because I have literally ZERO time during the week with classes and such.
When I am painting, I don't really like to listen to music. It makes me feel anxious and rushed. I'll usually listen to a movie or an audio book, and yesterday while working on my dining room set I listened to all five hours of The Outsiders. It was very enjoyable! I was supposed to read that book in 6th grade but I never read all of it. (I used to sparknotes like crazy in middle school)

1. I had NO idea that S.E. Hinton was sixteen years old when she wrote it! She came on audiobook and introduced her novel. It blew my mind that such a young person could write such a critically acclaimed novel. How cool is that?
2. I cried like a baby when Johnny died. I had completely forgotten that was a major plot point and it came out of nowhere for me.
3. Audiobooks are such a nice way to pass time. I hate that they are so expensive, but I get most from the Library. Did you know that Cracker Barrel has a deal where you can rent them for around $4 dollars a week? When I drove the 20 hours from Texas to Utah over Christmas, I was by myself and really worried about getting tired and falling asleep and crashing and dying. I rented J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy (which is a 20 hour audiobook) and it kept me awake and entertained the entire time. It also made the lonely drive seem so much shorter.

I painted all three chairs (gave them their first two coats) and I painted the table top and two of the legs.


I still need to distress the white to look more like this:


So that is how I spent my Saturday, and it was lovely.

Have a great day!
Kirsten

5 comments:

  1. Good idea. I need to multi-task more and audiobooks would help me do that. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great job you are doing on your table and chairs! Sounds like you had a very productive Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of audio books and working on projects but I've never thought of doing the two at the same time. The last Harry Potter book got me and my husband through our drive from Georgia to Utah. However, Pride and Prejudice nearly put me to sleep on a drive I did alone from Utah to Colorado. I'm sure it's a great book (I still haven't gotten through it) but something about the voice of the person reading it was very soothing. So I don't recommend listening to that one while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I can't wait to read "The Casual Vacancy" - thanks for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a long-time member of Audible and am a huge fan of listening to books. It does depend upon getting the right narrator, to be sure, but it is a great way to go through books while traveling, exercising, doing chores around the house. I've even set up a bookshelf on goodreads for audiobooks (which I need to update, since I've listened to over 100). Another good option (for free audiobooks) is Librivox (though the volunteer readers need even more screening than professional narrators to find those that are worth listening to).

    ReplyDelete