Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Elements of Stories and Tigers


While I was reading the part of the textbook that has to do with elements of a story I thought of a book series that I really enjoyed reading and the parts of the books that I would label as the different elements. So to begin with I suppose I should say what book series I am talking about. The Tigers Saga currently is a four book series, but there is a final fifth book that won’t be coming out for a while because the author is working on another series. The books are about two Indian prince brothers, Ren and Kishan, from an ancient empire that got on the wrong side of a sorcerer, Lokesh, and were turned into tigers, one white tiger and one black tiger. Their curse causes them to be immortal and around the present time they meet a girl, her name is Kelsey, who can help them break the curse. It has a lot of Indian mythology and love and adventure and all that good stuff. Yes there is a love triangle of sorts and as the reader I got mad at Kelsey a lot but we live in a time where love triangles in YA literature are more and more popular; so there’s not much that can be done there.



So the words that made me think of the books are: plot, suspense, climax, and conflict. When I read the definition for plot I thought of how all the events in the Tigers Saga books all connect and there is connecting between books not just in the way a series connects but there are references back to things from the first books and references to things to come, or foreshadowing. The books are suspenseful because when you read them for the first time you don’t know what will happen and with the adventure and action of fighting things from Indian mythology you’re kept on the edge of your seat, so to speak, wondering what will happen next. The climax of the first book is probably when they are in the mythical land of Kishkindha, the monkey kingdom. That is where they get what they are looking for and are attacked by the kappa, which are vampire monkeys. I think that the conflict that is ongoing throughout the series is Kelsey’s fear that the people she is attached to/has feelings for/is close to will leave her in some way. She loves Ren but won’t accept it because she thinks he is too good for her and will leave her when someone better comes along.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book series, but you have caught my attention with it! It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at vampire monkeys
    Actually, no. You caught my attention because I'm very interested in India.

    ReplyDelete