Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Creative Nonfiction for the week

Don't take this the wrong way... I'm not trying to be rude... It's just my Point Of View as far as nonfiction is concerned.


As I was reading Dr. Burton's post about creative nonfiction I came to the realization (or I came to a better knowledge) that I really do, in fact, not like nonfiction (except the scriptures, but that's pretty much it). I just don't find a good amount of the sub-genres he listed to be interesting. I was considering naming off the ones that I find boring but it would be faster, easier, and a much shorter list if I name the ones I do like. I like some personal essays, some sermons, scripture, some theology, some reviews, and some blogs. The only reason that I could possibly come up for choosing to read nonfiction (other than the before mentioned) would be if I need help falling asleep. In fact, as I was doing the readings for my English 251 class, which were all nonfiction because that is our focus this week, I fell asleep a few times; but there were a couple of the readings that held my attention and kept me awake. I thought I would be interested in the travel writing but it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. I might try to learn a bit more about that sub-genre and perhaps write a blog in that style, but we'll see.

This week, I will try to open my mind to some creative nonfiction. I will read some blogs, read scriptures, and maybe read some reviews. I am going to try to stay awake while reading nonfiction and try out writing a couple of blogs using the sub-genres of nonfiction such as about food or traveling.

3 comments:

  1. You've been (randomly) assigned to the travel writing genre for our class assignment due Thursday, so you're in luck. I hope that as you explore it in your own writing it can be more enjoyable for you! :-) Details forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you say you don't like many forms of nonfiction but you named quite a few. I consider myself liking nonfiction and yet I don't think I even like as many subgenres as you do. I like fiction but I generally dont read science fiction or young adult fiction. See what I mean? By the meer fact that you enjoy some nonfiction I think you can lump yourself in the nonfiction liking category. I also find most history and biographies boring, but I love me some blogs and personal essays. Embrace it my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaahhh. I think that sounds right. But I love your honesty. I'm kind of the same way if someone brings up fiction....I don't like it. Contrived and usually packed with deux ex machinas. However, I am a huge fan of the big names, like THG & HP. Yeah, whaddup. My favorite book is Jane Eyre....

      Hello fiction. How do you do.

      I'm embracing it.

      Delete