Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Second Birth: A Script and a Show

During the Fall, I was in an Introduction to Theatre class. We were asked to read a script written by a BYU student, Ariel Mitchell called A Second Birth and then go and attend the show. As I read the script, I got an understanding of the story and what was happening, but it was just dialogue. It was harder to picture a complete story and set in my mind without an author describing every detail to me. I enjoyed the idea and I was interested in what I would see.

The story is about a young girl named Nasima, from Afghanistan.
Her parents had her pretend to be a boy,
that way she can work, make money and improve the families social standings.
The story revolves around her learning how to behave like a woman so she can get married.
More than anything, 
this story is about her learning about herself.

The script was well done, but the performance was better. They used a round stage and limited props. The costumes were beautiful colors and brought the audience to another world. The limited props caused the audience to created the world in their mind. They used just enough props to clue the audience on what this world would be like. For about an hour and a half, me and my roommate were able to go to Afghanistan and watch a young girl our age discover who she was and her purpose in life. 

Drama is able to grab hold on the hearts of it's audiences in a way that movies and books can't. It is something that can bring you into a new world and introduce you to new people that you can almost consider your friends. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Taylor! That is so awesome that you went to see Ariel's show! How incredible is it that she wrote that? I've known her since she was in MY intro to theatre class as a freshmen, and I was in WV when her show went up so I never got to see it. I'm glad to hear it was that great in real life, as I've only ever read the script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My roommate and I were talking about it for days after. We were both amazed at the perfomance.

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome that a BYU student wrote such a successful play. I wish I would have seen it. My kids and I saw a show last year called Shaharazad and the Thousand Tales. We really liked it. They also used a round stage, limited props, and great costuming. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it left a big impression on you, so it was a success! Ariel will probably go on to do more scripts. She has a great future ahead. Are you interested in writing scripts for plays? I bet you would be terrific!

    ReplyDelete