Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cowboy Poetry Perfomances

Have you ever googled everybody you know? In school, I would do that all the time, googling friends, teachers, family. During one of these random google searches, I discovered my Grandma Hunting, an (at the time) 82 year old cowgirl, reciting cowboy poetry. At first the whole idea of "cowboy poetry" was ridiculous, and I guess if it was not my grandma, I'd still believe. But, I decided to take a moment and watch her do her thing.


It's a longer video and she has a heavier accent. You don't have to watch it all.

I got really interested seeing somebody I personally know doing something like this. I got more excited from it because of how into it she gets. Her performance here was in 2010, at Cedar City's Livestock and Sheep Festival. My grandmother apparently is an old time legend in the field of cowboy poetry. I never really knew this about her. 

If interested, there is more from this performance here:




1 comment:

  1. I love genealogical research. Thanks for capturing this Greatest Generation genre curiosity. Cool that it has a personal connection to you.

    This video would be great for dialect researchers. I feel like the strong "Marmon" southern Utah accent is just as unique as any Flannery o'Connor or Junot Diaz.

    ReplyDelete