Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Anti Love Poem

Shakespeare's sonnet 130, "My Mistress' Eyes" was very comedic to me. He had written the anti love poem. He basically describes every cliche love line, and says how his mistress is nothing like it."My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips' red;" He basically says that this girl can't beat the forms of nature that are used in these love poems of the time. But he answers in the couplet with, "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare. As any she belied with false compare." Even when she isn't this stunning beauty that beats all of nature, he still loves her, which he believes makes that love rare. This poem describes the reality in relationships and in love. The truth is that girls lips aren't more red than coral or that their eyes are like the sun. I especially like the line when Shakespeare says, "And in some perfumes is there more delight Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks." This is exactly as it is. Women aren't perfect. Sometimes their breath stinks, they don't have the red, red lips or have those amazing eyes. This doesn't mean that they shouldn't be loved. Good job Shakespeare for telling it how it is.

2 comments:

  1. It's also interesting to note how beauty standards have evolved. Dark and fair were basically synonyms for "ugly" and "good-looking." I think my pale complexion would be appreciated more in Shakespeare's day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we live in the day of age where pale skin is either unattractive or related to vampires

      Delete