Friday, May 17, 2013

The Next Steps

My Original Plan
My original Self-Directed Plan was to reread one of my favorite books, To Kill a Mockingbird, finish The Memory Keeper's Daughter and to read (restart) Les Miserables. I feel like now, my main focus is to really start to recognize poetry and to begin to enjoy it. I have started reading and have began enjoying it more  with the discussions in class. I also have started Frankenstein, which has been fun, but I have not had as much time as I would have liked to put towards it. I am going to rededicate myself to reading the book, and continue to look into poetry, along with the other two genres we will be focusing on in class.

Learning Outcome #1:
I feel like I need to put more focus in learning the literary terms for each section. I never really have much focus with them in my blogs. I did have one that talked about the unreliable narrator. In my post, about Shakespeare's Sonnet 116, I discussed things like voice and symbolism within the sonnet.

Learning Outcome #2:
I have always had an idea about the different genres, such as the ones we're studying: fiction, nonfiction, poetry and drama. As I have learned more, I have begun to think about the ways I can seperate them even more, like with fiction you have romance, young adult, thriller, and what not. The same with poetry with how you can break it down into haikus, sonnets, lyrics, limericks and whatever else you want.

Learning Outcome #3:
I have done literary analysis that have been more informal like in A&P where I talked about how this was a good representation of male perspectives. It often reminded me of the conversations with my 19 year old brother. I also did this on parental relationships in the story Girl and with my own relationships with my parents. The one where I had the best analysis would be in Shakespeare's Sonnet 116.

Learning Outcome #4:
This class has helped me to help with social relationships. I connected with my brother in law on Goodreads and have found books I also wanted to read based on movies I have seen. I have been more excited about reading throught the discovery of Goodreads.

Learning Outcome #5:
This is the learning outcome I feel I really need to focus on. Besides organizing my plans with books and what I would like to learn through Goodreads. I also have begun to explore another literacy form, poetry. I started out hating it, and now I am starting to appreciate poetry because of this term.

No comments:

Post a Comment