Monday, May 20, 2013

The weeding process

So I've began to read some of the plays on my list, as you know I am narrowing it down to just one, and I know I have eliminated at least one so far!


Rumors - Neil Simon:
A farce about a dinner party that goes awry.

Remember My Name - Joanna Halpert Kraus:
A period play about a group of people who hide a Jewish girl during WWII.

I read Rumors first, and I just didn't care for it as much as I thought I would. This surprised me actually, because I've enjoyed Neil Simon in the past. I really like his play Chapter Two, so even though I had never heard of this one I thought I would probably like it just as much. 
The play is set at the Deputy Mayor's tenth anniversary dinner party, where the Deputy Mayor has accidentally shot himself through the ear lobe (because he had taken too many Valium). More dinner guests arrive, which causes more chaos, and everything that could possibly go wrong does. 
First of all, there are more characters than I had wanted. I didn't throw it out just because of that, but coupled with the fact that it has a very elaborate plot and so much going on, I realized it would be very difficult to cut down to forty-five minutes while still making sense. It was just too much to take on.

The other play I read this weekend, Remember My Name, is a lovely play. It tells the story of a little Jewish girl who has been sent away by her parents to keep her safe. She asks a priest for help, and he takes her to an old widow who agrees to help hide her. Along with the old woman, there is a school teacher and a leader with the rebel cause (who are in love). They all come together to fight Nazi Germany and to keep the little girl safe. The play takes place in France, as the Nazis are invading, and continues until the end of the war. 
Complications with this particular play include cutting it, and how many male characters there are. If I could find a way to cut it down while possibly cutting out a character or two, then it would be doable. I liked it a lot, just not sure I LOVED it. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment