Saturday, May 11, 2013

What do I know about Poetry?


For this week of poetry, I think I would like to read some epic poetry. I’d like to read some of the Odyssey, and some of the Aeneid. Wikipedia has a page that gives the titles of epic poetry through the ages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_poetry). If it is correct, then last week I read some mock epic (?) poetry, Don Juan by Lord Byron. In the past I have read some of El cantar de mio cid, The Epic of Gilgamesh, Martín Fierro, The Divine Comedy, Beowulf, and probably some others that I can’t remember.


I would also like to read some lyric and dramatic poetry although I am not sure where to start. Last week I read some Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley, and Lord Byron (can you guess what I was studying in my class?) which seem to be lyric poetry. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyric_poetry). I don’t really know what dramatic poetry is but Wikipedia says “Dramatic verse occurs in a dramatic work, such as a play, composed in poetic form.” It goes on to say that it includes dramatic monologues. I don’t know how correct that is though.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verse_drama_and_dramatic_verse).



I have read some poetry from Latin America, such as Pablo Neruda, Ruben Darío, and Gabriela Mistral. I look forward to reading more poetry and learning more about the terms used to describe poetry and other literature.

4 comments:

  1. Epic poetry is fantastic. And to start with Homer is a wonderful start. The Iliad and the Odyssey are awesome! I totally recommend them both. Epic of Gilgamesh is good, including Beowulf. Add Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to that list, if you haven't read it yet. I haven't read the Divine Comedy completely yet, but I'm going to.
    I can't believe how much poetry I actually have and never realized it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Sir Gawain, I read it in high school but I don't really remember it very well. I'll add that to my list to re-read sometime.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, you read tons of poetry! That's awesome! You must be really good at it. A lot of what you mentioned I've never read, so I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be quite honest I didn't even think of (most of) it as reading poetry! In many cases I considered it to be stories and didn't think much of the poetical value.

      Delete