Sunday, May 12, 2013

Learning Outcomes for Poetry

Hallo,
 For me, I want to learn how to better understand poetry by means of interpreting it, and even how to write better poetry. To be point blank, poetry is not a strength, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy reading it or writing it (when I feel pressured to).
 I have decided to read "Poems That Lift the Soul: A Treasury of Faith & Inspiration". It's a book of compiled poetry from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The book covers a variety of topics, alphabetically from adversity to works (The Table of Contents).



Being a Latter-day Saint myself, when it comes to poetry I automatically thought of lyrical, since song is so easy to think of - naturally. A pattern I read in a poem under adversity read A B B A, rather than the usual category: A B A B, or A B A B A, etc., etc.
I don't read a lot of poetry, and realize how much I have taken the subject for granted. Perhaps if I read poetry, it would make a greater influence for me in being a creative writer.

4 comments:

  1. How do you think LDS poems differ (or not!) from LDS hymn or song lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if could adequately state what the differences are. I guess I think of lyrical poetry simply because it's something that everyone listens to anymore. After having pondered your question, I went over some poems from the said book above and looked to see how they could fit in a rhythm.
      I don't know if all poetry could work as song lyrics though. I suppose my logic is very flawed, and like I said - poetry isn't my greatest strength.

      Delete
  2. How are you enjoying the book? It seems like it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the book already, and the poems are generally short. I'll recommend it to you.

      Delete