Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reading Shakespeare

Before the drama unit began, I was assigned from another English course to read William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. The play is a comedy, and it portrays people in both the low and high social statuses. Those who are of nobility are made out looking foolish, while those who look foolish are the ones who come off being clever. There also those who are aspiring to be noble, but end up looking very much like fools in the end.
After I read all five acts, I thought it was good, and footnotes definitely help me understand the text become more readable. Now all I need to do is see the play be performed!

For this unit, I'm going to try read the Shakespeare play The Tempest. I remember seeing the performed during 11th grade, the whole school went to watch it in our spacious auditorium. I enjoyed it. But since it's been so long since I've seen it, I'm going to read, or at least take off from where I last stopped (which was in Act 3). Unless anyone recommends that I start over again?

No comments:

Post a Comment