Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Importance of Being Ernest.... or Jack?

I have heard of The Importance of Being Earnest but I haven't heard, read or seen any of the story. I don't even know what it is about. As I read the first scene, I was interested in the man Jack, or is it Ernest? The introduction of any story, whether it is movies, books or plays, is what creates the story. With a bad beginning, the story is doomed to fail. The opening scene introduces characters and a future problem, the lying of Jack's character to the woman he wants to marry.
While reading this, I began to think of every possibility that could happen with this situation. I think about every classic story telling when the man lies to the woman he loves, but I can't say how it will end or what will happen. The beginning scene made me want to read and see the story from beginning to end, and to put the time to learn about these characters.

2 comments:

  1. This is pretty much how I felt while reading Death of a Salesman. I haven't read that one before so I had no idea what was going on and I was trying to come up with ideas of what lead to the scene we read and what would happen after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good you pointed out that Jack (Earnest?) was a liar in the first scene, and he does it to get exactly what he wants. For this play I was imagining that the setting was some place over in England.
    I thought the scene was rather hilarious though, with how the word play, and the deception that "Argy" used to figure Jack out.
    I'm also glad you commented on this play. I tried to last night, but I couldn't really put out the words I was wanting to use to describe this.

    ReplyDelete