Monday, May 20, 2013

The week for drama

So this past weekend I had the opportunity to read The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde for my British Literature class. My teacher said that if we wanted to and if we could find it that we could watch it if we read it at the same time. I managed to find the BBC production of it from 1986 or so with subtitles, split up by Acts on YouTube. I must say that it definitely made it more enjoyable to get through, being able to watch it at the same time as reading it.

Spoiler Alert!
When I watched the Act in which Algernon arrives at Jack's house pretending to be Earnest which is followed by Jack arriving and saying that Earnest is dead made me laugh so hard because it is just such a hilarious circumstance. Had I not been watching I'm sure it would have been funny but there's something about watching it happen that makes it better.


This is the segment it can be found in, its kind of all over, Algy arrives around 5:00.

For the rest of this week, I plan to read some other dramas. I have a book that has Euripides' Medea and some other plays all of which I have not yet read. I hope to read a couple of those and/or some of the plays or segments of plays from the textbook for this class (English 251).

4 comments:

  1. A classic play. Thanks for the recommendation on that YouTube production. I have enjoyed listening to a free version available via Audible. I felt like hearing the performance alone worked quite well with this production, but you raise a good point about seeing performances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hollywood version of this with Colin Firth, Reese Witherspoon, and Judi Dench is excellent. I especially like the use of the "Lady Come Down" song with the banjo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching the movie adaptation of this play. It was hilarious and very clever. Thanks for posting a free version. Have you seen the one with Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, I don't think I know anyone who has it and I couldn't find it anywhere (online) to watch.

      Delete