Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Different Perspective

In Katie Roiphe's "Do We Secretly Envy the Childfree?", I felt like I was recieving a lecture on not judging others for their personal decisions. This is fine and all, but I feel like it lacks the other side of the debate; those who decide to have several or more children recieve just as much judgement as those who don't have children at all. Even in Provo, UT where most of the community is Latter-Day Saints, I get strange looks when I say I am the youngest of eight children and have a sister with seven children. If we are going to promote the idea of being nonjudgmental when it comes to other's decisions on having or not having children, that should include those who decide to have more than two or three kids. I personally want to have a lot of children. This isn't because I want to overpopulate the Earth, get a welfare check from the government or because I want to be the annoying mother in the supermarket. It is because I want to be able to raise a large family to support one another in the crazy world out there. Is that wrong or should be looked down on?
One day, in the P.E. class I assisted in, the gym teacher and I got into a discussion about children and how many people should have. He went off on a tangent about how having a lot of children is a terrible thing, and that, just like in China, we should be limited on how many children we should have. He gave me the welfare and overpopulation debates and I sat and listened quietly. At the end, I replied saying I wanted to have a large family so that my children might be the changing affect in schools, workplaces and in the world. We left, neither persuading the other, but I feel we left with a different perspective than before.
I personally feel the greatest affect I can make in the world is raising respectful, polite and intelligent children to enter into the world and to make a difference. This doesn't have to be by creating new laws or changing the way we do things. It can be that one person that smiles at you on your worst day, and makes you feel like you were noticed. I want my child to be the one that gives someone faith in humanity, and give them the confidence to believe that the world isn't completely lost yet.
I believe William Ross Wallace says it best when he says, 
"Woman, how divine your mission, 
Here upon our natal sod; 
Keep—oh, keep the young heart open 
Always to the breath of God! 
All true trophies of the ages 
Are from mother-love impearled, 
For the hand that rocks the cradle 
Is the hand that rules the world."

5 comments:

  1. Being one of those "Child Free" not of my own choosing, it can be very frustrating to see those who "choose" that life. It makes me wish that I could transfer my wife and I's infertility to them...because they would likely not view it as a challenge as we have. It makes me sad to see people ignore the beautiful gift of life because they choose not to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you are coming from, Taylor. I didn't care for this particular reading, I don't agree with the author. But I didn't necessarily read it the way you did, I respect you for wanting a lot of children but I don't want tons! Not because of overpopulation or welfare but simply because I don't have the patience. I look at people with more than five and I feel so much respect for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it is totally fine for someone to not want to have a lot of children. I guess it just bugs me that, like those who might not want children at all, those who want a lot of them are ridiculed.

      Delete
  3. Good points made all around. This would be very interesting to contrast with Tessa Meyer Santiago's "Take, Eat" essay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit on an interesting demographic trend: the 2- to 3-child Mormon family which is now the norm. I'm the oldest of three, my mother was an only child (my grandmother was divorced), most my close friends have 1 or 2 siblings ... and I'm a SLC native.

    ReplyDelete