Sunday, May 5, 2013

A&P: The Young Man's Mindset?

I remember reading A&P when I was in middle school. When I read it then, I didn't really think anything about it. I thought it was a silly story that was a bit of a waste of my time. This time while reading it, I began to focus on the motivation of the young teenage cashier, Sammy. As I read, it made me laugh. I felt like I was listening to a brother describe why he quit as if he was a hero. He describes the supposed beauty of this swimsuit wearing, teenage "queenie". When she is called out by the manager for indecency (As she should be. Walking around the store barefoot? Disgusting.), he "defends" her from the embarrasment, and ultimately quits his job. He leaves, and notices that the girls were long gone before they could notice the courage of this teenage cashier. Overall, It felt like any 19 year old who is trying to impress everyone around him and make whatever happen a little less shameful or embarrasing.
This story shows how perception changes everything. A story told from one's point of view will be drastically different from another's. From the girl's point of view, she is probably either flattered or creeped out by this guy staring at her (Probably flattered. You don't walk around a supermarket like that if you don't want attention). The manager might be thinking about how much of an idiot Sammy is for quitting. If you look at the story without any bias from a certain character, you're seeing a teenage boy go off on his boss like he actually knows what he's doing, the manager just trying to do his job and a girl who was having fun with the attention till she got called out on it. The perception of the story is what creates the tones and the feelings you have towards the other characters. The entire time I was reading it though, all I could imagine was if my brother was telling this story to me, trying to justify quitting over this incidence. It was humurous to me to read.

4 comments:

  1. I also found this story amusing. I mean, quitting your job because you think you want to impress a girl who doesn't even notice? It sounds so human that it might be probable. Is this honestly the way guys think? Any thoughts, men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was making me laugh because all I could imagine was my nineteen year old brother telling me this story. That's EXACTLY how he would tell it to me too. I really want to hear a guy's opinion on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading "Araby" from last week. It seemed have a similar theme to it. I wouldn't quit a job just to impress a girl. Even though it sounds human it would be rather illogical. Heck, as it was pointed out, the girl didn't notice that Sammy quit for her, and he ended up losing both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you have common sense enough not to quit your good job. I know so many guys who really would.

    ReplyDelete