Monday, May 13, 2013

Slam Poetry - Poetry in Media

I don't know that I have any friends who read poetry for fun. I don't know anyone who goes to poetry readings or has a poetry book club or anything like that.
If it weren't for the internet, specifically youtube, I wouldn't encounter poetry outside of an English classroom. But because we have youtube, because people can record and share videos from anywhere, poetry (in a form) is part of my daily life <-- mostly thanks to facebook.

Slam poetry is a competition where poets read or perform original work. I think the main reason that I like it is because it is performed, being a theatre major and all. They are similar to monologues in a way.
It came about in the 90s and "revitalized interest in poetry in performance" - if you want to know anymore information about it, I found a website with a brief description.

Slam poetry, because it is performed typically by the author or creator, has a lot of emotion. I want to share with you my two favorites that I have ever seen. Both made me cry a little bit.

Katie Makkai - Pretty
***Warning*** There is some language!



Taylor Mali - What Teachers Make (he is one of the most well-known slam poets)


I like the performative nature of slam poetry. I like the emotion and the story that it tells. It's great that the developments in media allow for anyone access to these. I don't know that I will ever go to a slam poetry competition, but I appreciate being able to watch them regardless.
This is the kind of poetry that moves me.

6 comments:

  1. I had to stop the first video with my wife and daughter being present. I liked the second video, with Mali talking about being a teacher. I liked his stuff. This is the first time I've ever heard of slam poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. I did say there was language, those its just the one word. I apologize for that!

      Delete
  2. This is a really interesting perception on poetry. I always think of passages that make absolutely no sense to me. To think of it as a dramatic performance and something that can be so modern makes it more interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten! I love this post and I love these poems! I had seen "Pretty" before, and it's one of my absolute favorites. I'm glad you posted it even with the swearing.
    I had never heard the Taylor Mali poem, but I really liked it. I especially like that at parts it becomes comedic, but it never loses its focus. I think that's one of the great things about slam poetry and spoken word. The artist can make the crowd laugh, or gasp, or cry (I definitely get teary-eyed sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! There is so much more emotion in poetry when it is performed!! I'm glad we both posted these.

      Delete
  4. I don't know about slam poetry but they do have storytelling performances in Provo. See http://utahporch.org.

    ReplyDelete