Tuesday, May 7, 2013

STARSTRUCK

I just have to brag for a second. I know Richard and Clarissa have already heard this, but I don't care!
My favorite author is easily Jodi Picoult. I am in love with her and all of her books (the ones I've read (a few newer ones are still on my list because of school)). I love her writing style. I like how each chapter is from a different characters point of view and how the timeline jumps all over the place. It makes it so much more interesting to read.

I am in ENG 420 - Adolescent Literature, and we have to give a five minute presentation about a YAL author. I chose Jodi Picoult (because I love her and because I now HAVE to read the books I've been putting off) and I was looking on her website when I saw the Email Jodi button. I clicked it and wrote her a nice email telling her how much I liked her novels and about my project, and asking her two questions.
1. How do you make your teenage characters so realistic? Is it because you have children that age?
2. I've always wondered what your work space looks like, how you keep all of the events and characters separate, would you by any chance send me a picture?
I didn't actually expect my email to go to HER (I sort of thought it would go to a publicist or something) but she actually emailed me back WITHIN TWO HOURS OF SENDING IT!

She answered my question, sent me a picture, and wished me luck on my project!
My favorite author took the time to email me back and take a picture for me.

Her workspace actually looks nothing like I had imagined, but that's okay!


Have a great day! I am!
Kirsten



7 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I would guess that, that is an email and a photo that you will cherish for a long time. I would say it's even cooler than getting a book signed because it's not like she was at an event for a certain purpose, she went out of her way just for you!

    I've actually never heard of her. Are there some books of hers that you love that you could recommend? I love to check out what other people are reading. Do you have a Good Reads review on any of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never Goodreads reviewed before, but if I were to give you three recommendations out of her 20+ books they would be (in order) Nineteen Minutes, Handle with Care, and Change of Heart or maybe My Sister's Keeper (there was a movie for that one!)
      She is an amazing author, her stories twist themselves in such a way that you find your opinion on whichever social issue she is writing constantly changing.

      Delete
  2. I love Jodi Picoult! She has some great books. I love reading her books when I am looking for a good, semi quick read. The last one I read by her was Nineteen Minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first I read by her, and my favorite!

      Delete
  3. How cool! I think that's so great that she took time to personally respond to you! What were her answers to your first two questions? I am curious to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Duh, I should have included that. She told me that she has two children so she has them as examples but more than that she gets out and does the work. She said she researches like crazy and she will go into high schools and talk with people to get their language down and to hear their issues.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete