Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A world that opens out


I like this whole slow read business.  When I read quickly to meet a deadline, the whole experience might take only a few hours.  And that's fine.  It doesn't change the fact that I feel like I am on a really long and boring car ride.



But when I read and I let the words and the sentences and the surprises do what they came to do, it all goes by so quickly and pleasantly.  I even find myself reading the textbook like this, now.  Did you notice on page 146 of Delbanco and Cheuse that William Kittredge is quoted saying, "I discovered a world that opened out to me" instead of "I discovered a world that opened up to me"?  I thought that was great.  I imagine someone who goes to pull off the shelf what he thinks is just another ordinary book, only to find to his delight, that the book is of the pop-up variety!  That is how I feel when I read slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment