Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Preliminary self-directed learning plan (Post #1)

What are my areas of strength and weakness with analyzing literature?

I would say that my areas of strength in analyzing literature is looking at literature in its historical aspects, cultural background, and perspective (point-of-view). My weakness with analyzing may in regards to keeping things within context of the text. That was demonstrated in class on Tuesday, but that was something that I needed to learn. Another weakness might be comprehension with what I'm reading.

What works of literature would I like to read this semester?

I already have a lot to read this semester from this course and English 291, but I would like to finish reading Les Miserables, and re-reading The Hobbit.

As for the creative project, I don't know what to do for it at this time. I can draw, but I'm not that good at it. I only hope to figure out what to do for that in time.

6 comments:

  1. Haha! I don't think that it is a weakness to think beyond the context of the text! I see what you mean because of what he said, but I don't think that's a weakness.
    Also, I am sure that you will come up with something. We have some time before you would need to have it solidified, and I'm sure once he gives us some guidelines or where to go with it you will get an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement, Kirsten. I suppose all of are feeling greatly overwhelmed with the Spring term. Seems like there's so much to do in so little time.

      Delete
  2. I am actually weak in seeing things out of context! I have been wanting to read Les Miserables too, and it's something I might actually do this summer. I know what you mean about the creative project, I am already stressing out about it too! I think as the course progresses, though, and as we are introduced to more things, we will be inspired with the right thing to do for this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les Miserables is really good. I'm about half-way through the book, and it's been taking me nearly three years to do it. I think you're right though, as we're introduced to more stuff, we'll more easily choose what to do for the project.

      Delete
  3. I love the Hobbit and I would like to read it again. I really want to read Les Miserables, but I feel like it will be a real job to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my third time reading the Hobbit. I like it that much, and I plan on reading the Lord of the Rings after I'm finished with it. I really enjoy reading books by Tolkien. And just so I can brag, his writings have inspired me to create my own writings.
      Br. Burton shows how much he loves Shakespeare, because it's true. I must confess that I feel the same way about reading works from Tolkien. I'm also in the middle of the Silmarillion, and that's a hard read.
      It can be a job to read Les Miserables. But I enjoy reading it, and I do recommend that you read it. The tough part for me when it comes to reading Les Miserables is trying to comprehend what Victor Hugo is talking about sometimes in the book, and I can't read French that well either, when it appears in the book.

      Delete