Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Preliminary Self-Directed Learning Plan?

Hearing (Dr. Burton? Brother Burton? Gideon?) <--- not quite sure what we call him.. anyway!

Hearing him talk about the girl who made a cake and the boy who wrote about video gaming, I started thinking maybe if we are supposed to choose to do something that includes our outside interests that I could use this self-directed learning plan to help me choose the play I am going to direct in the fall.

Background info: Every theatre ed major(which I am), theatre studies major, directing major and some acting majors have to direct a "Mask Club" their senior year. It is a forty minute show that you direct all on your own outside of the class that it is associated with. My assignment for the Summer is to choose which play I am going to direct, and I have no clue! I told Rodger (the teacher) that I would read a bunch of plays and have one chosen before Summer term.

I was thinking/hoping that for the project in this class I could maybe read a bunch of plays, take note of the ones I'm reading, zero in on a couple, and then choose one to direct. I could then write a paper on why I've chosen that one and what I think I'm going to do with it. I could pitch my idea in written format, like a proposal paper.

He said that learning is more valuable to use as students if we can relate it to things we are passionate about, and seeing as how this is something I have to do anyway (on a less educational level) then it would be very useful and valuable to me as a student!

This is just a thought, of course, but something I'm certainly interested in.

Have a great day!
-Kirsten

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think that it's a good idea to do for the class, and as a theater major. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

    I also like that the professor is allowing us to use our out-of-class interests for an assignment. I'm not sure what to do yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great way to take advantages of sources and time that will be spent for this class.

    ReplyDelete