Thursday, May 9, 2013

Parental Relationships

 Girl was a poem that struck me. It was really interesting to me, the lack of conversation from the daughter. She listens to her mother and only speaks when trying to defend herself. I feel like this describes many relationships of a teenage girl (or boy) with their parents. I know that not all relationships between parents and their teenage children are like this, but I know mine was.
It appears as if the girl is being accused of someday being a "slut". Though accusations are not always that harsh, parents sometimes worry too much and begin accusing their child of behaviors. When you hear it enough, it gets to a point where it seems like all you can do is become exactly what they are talking about.
It was hard being one of the only Mormon girls in my area. You had to hold standards that were odd to everyone else. I never went to parties or hung out with too many people. At home, my parents would assume and worry that I was going to fall into the behaviors of all my peers because they were my daily influence. I can understand the frustration the girl might have had at the accusations.
The mother also gave solid advice for her daughter. She taught her to clean, social etiquettes (I don't know if I spelled that correct) and how to handle relationships with men. I know that my mother often tried to teach me responsibility and understanding to help me as I went on in my life. I feel like this is another thing every parent attempts to do before their child enters into the real world.
I know not all parents accuse their children of things, and not all parents try to teach their children everything they can. Parents are all different. For me, though, this described a relationship with my mother. Instead, it was get an education and stay in the church instead of being accused of being a slut or being taught only household jobs.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that you described Girl as a poem. I read it as stream-of-consciousness prose.

    I don't know whether that's ultimately up to the reader or Jamaica Kincaid.

    ReplyDelete