Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Shakespeare in the Park

I went to go see a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream in the park, and I really enjoyed it; it was down right hilarious.
To give some background to the play: the plot is about a man and a woman named Lysander and Hermia who are in love with each other, but there is conflict when another male character named Demetrius is in love with Hermia and even wants to marry her. Hermia doesn't want to marry him though, but her father, Egeus, is insistent that she do so anyway. However, another female character by the name of Helena is in love with Demetrius, but Demetrius doesn't love her. But there's a character, Puck, who accidentally makes both Lysander and Demetrius fall in love with Helena, and they end up having no interest in Hermia. This accident gets resolved, however, so then Lysander ends up in love with Hermia, and Demetrius with Helena.
The story in of itself was a satire; I laughing myself to tears towards the end of the show, that's how funny it was to me. There were parts during the performance where the audience was participating by either cheering or booing at the actors. The show was free to attend, and they hold auditions for anyone who's interested in doing a show with them. The performers "act[ed] well [their] part[s]."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Richard for the brief summary of the play! It helps me understand what I walked in on last night. Let me tell you it is not easy to figure out what's going on in Shakespeare when you don't know anything about it and you miss the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I can understand. That's also like walking into the end of a movie, and you have clue what the movie is even about as you watch it.

      Delete