Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bold Beginnings


Mormon Channel’s Earthly Father, Heavenly Father may not be a poem adapted to film, but it is the first poem I’ve ever seen that got its start as film.  Before youtube, it was never recited or printed on a page, nor did it belong to a feature-length movie.  Pretty one-of-a-kind, don’t you think?

The poem describes a typical day in a loving family’s home.  It is an allegory for the care and attention that God gives to us.  The sound and rhythm of the poem center on the number three, a common symbol for deity.  For example:

·       Iambic trimeter:

I do it all for them.

I work that they may grow.

·      Alliteration of three words across three sentences:

I come home.  Two-second hugs.  Now I’m a horse.

·      Repetition of the same clause three times throughout the poem:

…not thinking once how it all came to be…

…They see so little of how it all came to be…

…I now stand very aware of how it all came to be.

Also note the rhyme near the end of the poem, which makes the phrase that follows (the theme of the entire poem) stand out even more:


I am also a son.  And while I may not understand all that he does

For me, I do know that all that I am and all that I have is because


He’s a father to me.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting that, Danielle. I appreciate that being a husband and father myself. I do like that poetry was used in this video because the message became much more affective. The experiences of one father can be the same for other fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was probably a typo, but man it would be cool to see the church's video/poem for Earthly Father, Heavenly Mother. You should totally make that.

    ReplyDelete