Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pretentious and Condescending


I may be the only one, but I find a lot of nonfiction (mainly the personal essay variety) to be pretentious or condescending. I also don't like to read something where I feel the author is on the defensive. It just puts me in a weird mood.
Because of that, I really didn't care for "Take, Eat" by Tessa Meyer Santiago. I am sure that her feelings are very important to her, and I understand where she is coming from (I think) but the style of the writing and the tone. UGH! It just really bothered me. I wanted to be like "quit whining!" Then again, I may be a terrible person.
I also hated reading "Do We Secretly Envy the Childfree?" Hmmm, maybe? Or maybe still, we don't give the childfree a single thought because it doesn't matter to us or impact our lives at all. 
I found the travel writings to be a little pretentious. 
I will say the only one that I LOVED was reading "Santaland Diaries" by David Sedaris. I found this to be incredibly funny and very well written. He wasn't preaching to me, there didn't seem to be an agenda, it was just a story to entertain and it happened to be true. 
This is the part where I actually laughed and woke up my poor husband.
"Twenty-two thousand people came to see Santa today, and not all of them were well behaved. Today, I witnessed fistfights and vomiting and magnificent tantrums. The back hallway was jammed with people. There was a line for Santa and a line for the women's bathroom. And one woman, after asking me a thousand questions already, asks: Which is the line for the women's bathroom? And I shouted that I thought it was the line with all the women in it. And she said: I'm going to have you fired.
I had two people say that to me today: I'm going to have you fired. Go ahead, be my guest. I'm wearing a green velvet costume. It doesn't get any worse than this. Who do these people think they are? I'm going to have you fired, and I want to lean over and say: I'm going to have you killed."


2 comments:

  1. It's ironic that you would say nonfiction is condescending in a way that sounds, well, condescending. Be careful to acknowledge what people are aiming to do even if you don't think they reach their goal. Otherwise, you simply sound biased.

    Don't forget to title your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather felt the same way about "Take, Eat". The only thing that caught me off-guard was the sudden story change at the very end of the essay. I felt rather confused about who was actually telling the story there. The travel writing "Saving Punjab" was interesting to me. I took a class last year from BYU-Idaho on Pakistan and learning about the Partition from British (and Indian) rule.

    ReplyDelete