Thursday, May 30, 2013

Topic stuff

So I've never really felt good about my writing. Most of my teachers have made comments and notes on things that I write that are discouraging and so I feel like I am a bad writer. It doesn't help that one of the hardest parts for me is choosing a topic to write on, especially when I am trying to get a certain number of pages. I feel like a lot of topics that I would be interested in writing about could never be as long as the teacher wants it to be without going off on side notes and things that are kind of relevant to the topic, but then the grade is always bad because I didn't stay on topic. I just have a hard time with it. With two such papers looming on my horizon, I am filled with dread and despair.



From Dr. Burton's post on how to come up with ideas and claims, here is a list of things I should do in order to try to come up with a topic:
  1. Review your recent writing
  2. Review your recent reading
  3. Review others' recent posts 
  4. Pose some questions 
  5. Transform questions into provisional claims. . 
  6. Circulate your working thesis statements 
  7. Revise your claim 
I am interested in looking at song lyrics and comparing them with others or with life but I don't know how I can make an argument from that. Another idea is kind of inspired by a discussion from one of my classes the other day, is (creative) nonfiction literature or literary or something like that, but its not that interesting to me. Whenever I try to think about what topics I have read that were written in blog posts by others I can't seem to remember them, neither can I remember what comments sparked my interest; and to be honest its a lot of work to go through ALL of the blog posts that have been done just to find some that caught my attention. I like lots of things but I can't seem to figure out how to make any of them into literary arguments that can be turned into a paper. Another problem I think I will run into is that if I ask on my social media no one will respond. I am planning on talking to the people that I have been telling about my classes and learning and reading and such about what I will write about. I was going to say I'll try but instead its I have to come up with some thesis statements this weekend that I can write about. I'll keep thinking and reading and I will come up with something.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get where you're coming from, especially when it comes to posting stuff on other social media and groups, and getting no responses. The most I've ever gotten, as far as responses go in this class is about 5; outside of this blogging stuff I get an average of zero to one ratio. Which means I'm not that popular, and I have absolutely no control over who looks and responds to my posts, because most people who do look my blogs, comments and journal posts are lurkers, and not people who actually watch or follow me.

    ReplyDelete