Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ask not what technology can do for you...


Friends, Classmates, Americans, lend me your ears. 
We are at a crossroads in our society. Do we continue to allow this new world 
of media to replace real communication? Do we allow family relationships to fall 
by the wayside in favor of tweets and facebook status updates?  

Nay, I say unto you that we must put aside these things. They are a hinderance 
to us. They build a wall between ourselves and the outside world. Young people 
today: could you tell me without having to check facebook what your sister’s birthday
is? Do you know how your mother is feeling without having to check her facebook
wall or twitter feed for an update of some kind? When was the last time you spoke to 
a family member and actually heard their voice? We must tear down this wall!

Four score and seven years ago media wasn’t the problem that it is today, 
and family relationships were much stronger. There weren’t as many distractions. Families interacted at the dinner table - talking about their day. They didn’t have to check 
twitter and instagram to know anything about each other.

Not to worry, I have a solution. I say to you today, my friends, so even though 
we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a
dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this 
nation will be as great as it once was. That families can prosper. I have a dream 
that we will cast aside these modern “conveniences” in support of truth and liberty. 
The truth of actual human interaction, liberty from being tied to a computer or cellphone. 

Don’t you see? We rely on this new media in such a way that it is crippling! 
We can only go so far as the charger, and we end up missing out on the world.
Give me liberty from this media prison, or give me death!

7 comments:

  1. This is great, Kirsten! I like the different shades of blue. It gave me an idea for writing my own post. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you goober. I liked this. The parody made it way more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, no. This is a gem. The title alone made me lol (I hate it when people say 'lol'). Kudos on a solid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie you're the best. Thank you! I'm glad you loled

      Delete
  4. I like how you incorporated speeches from Abe Lincoln, Patrick Henry, Martin Luther King, and Ronald Reagan.

    ReplyDelete