Saturday, May 4, 2013

My New Favorite Mess


I just got off of my mission a few weeks ago.  I learned a ton, and I learned it all much faster than I’d ever learned anything before.  But I think the greatest thing I learned was, well, how to learn.  Before my mission, I liked to study like crazy before diving into anything so that I could get things right the first time—restrict my errors to the confines of my own mind as much as possible.  I did this with everything—school, art, even sports.

So when I got to the MTC and the first thing our teacher asked us to do was to pray in Portuguese, of course my first question was, “Irmão Perkes, may we please learn Portuguese before we speak it?”  “No Sister Carter, you may not,” was his answer.  I found him completely absurd.  He seemed to think that it was okay to make mistakes and that falling flat on your face was just part of the daily routine.  I soon learned that he was not so much absurd as he was right.

As it turns out, studying, listening to a lecture, or observing a demonstration can only get me so far on my quest for knowledge.  There comes a point when I have to take a leap of faith, put myself out there, and act.  But there’s a kind of scary trick to all of this—despite careful daily preparation, it is only after offering up my whole self that I am able to see that there were parts of me that I hadn’t accounted for, that I’d left behind or that I’d put on the altar without cleaning first.  And at that point, yep, I’m pretty sure that, “I would fain be glad if I could command the rocks and the mountains to fall upon me and hide me from the Lord’s presence” (Alma 12:14).  But since I can’t, I just stay where I am and the Lord looks over my wonderful efforts and He looks over the parts of me that terrify me… and… He tells me I’m amazing and forgives my sins???  I’m not sure I really get it.  So He hugs me and I’m happy, and I tell Him that I like it here but that I have to go because I’ve got some parts of me that I still need to work on, is that okay?  He thinks that’s a great idea and sends me away with the Spirit to be with me and a “Tchau until next Sunday.”

So as part of my learning plan this semester, I’m going to make my writing public.  And I won’t wait until I have a polished final product to engage my audience.  That might just be impossible and at any rate, it’s very isolating.  I’m going to give my whole self to writing, yes, even the mess.  Now does that mean that I’m going to sit there stubbornly in my own filth?  No.  But the errors and, yes, the sins will come.  That’s a guarantee.  Everyone on this earth makes his or herself cringe at one point or another.  It’s just that, when that happens, I plan on picking myself right back up and letting Christ brush me off.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds you enjoyed your mission very much, and I'm sure it was a very uplifting, learning experience for you. I completely understand the post-high school mindset of not making any errors when it comes to thinking about what one does, etc. I can related to that as well, and it wasn't until my mission when I began to understand that making mistakes is part of our mortal journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard how quickly a person learns on their mission, and now you have added your experience. May be missions are a great place to learn because you have to put your complete trust in the Lord. And that is why missionaries are so lifted. They do the best they know how, and then they turn the rest over to God. You are right that this approach works in other settings in our lives. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this post, Danielle. A very interesting (terrifying) story, some really great insights, and a beautiful testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really good outlook to have on learning. I just got done with my freshman year, and this year I have struggled with the idea of not having everything perfect. It really does take courage to accept the errors and to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quote from C.S. Lewis's book Mere Christianity came to mind. He said that as we strive to perfect ourselves it will “not be attained by any merely human efforts....After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again. Very often what God first helps us towards is not the virtue itself but just this power of always trying again." It is evident to see the power you are gaining from doing just that! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this: "it is only after offering up my whole self that I am able to see that there were parts of me that I hadn’t accounted for, that I’d left behind or that I’d put on the altar without cleaning first." and of course tying a spiritual perspective into having faith in drafting publicly. You have the perfect attitude. Thanks for being brave. (And Kimara, great quote from C.S. Lewis!)

    ReplyDelete