Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Literature and Social Media


 

During the Fall 2012 semester I took Spanish 441, Survey of Spanish Literature (from Spain) and my teacher had us use several different sites to work with. Every week we would pick a quote from any of the reading from that week and we would "analyze" it and make connections to at least one other piece of literature, movie, song, or really anything that we could and we would write about a page and post it on a blog. Our blog was due Thursday by midnight and after that, we had until Tuesday at midnight to comment about 3 of our classmates' blogs via Twitter.
The reason for using Twitter was to try to encourage us to say something about the blog while keeping to a certain number of letters and symbols (140). We had to include the class hash tag (#Span441), the Twitter name of the person's blog we read, and the link to their blog in the Tweet so when we went to write our comment we had about 100 characters left. It was a really good experience for me because it made me focus on and think more about the literature while I was reading it instead of just reading it to get it done.



You may not understand it because the writing is in Spanish but if you are interested you can look at my blog: http://clarissagriswold.blogspot.com/ (My computer isn't showing the videos embedded in the posts so I don't know if it will work for others, sorry!)

4 comments:

  1. That's interesting you used Twitter for assignments in your Spanish class. What's so significant about using the hash mark anyway? I don't have a Twitter account, so that's why I ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea of interdisciplinary media in the humanities must be huge among the younger/hipper/Romantic languagey professors. We rewrote Les Liaisons Dangereuses in tweets. (In English. So you can all read it. Email me if interested.) Great exercise, although most of us tended to only read our assigned section closely.

    @Richard The hashtag is a way for Twitter to sort trends. During March Madness, for instance, tagging a post with #GoZags would make it easier for fellow Gonzaga fans to find your post. The Daily Universe has a section (in the print edition!) devoted to #BYU tags. (I once made it in when my high school friend's husband—random, I know—called me out for sneaking a jamba juice into the library. It had to be me!) Longer phrases are gaining currency, like #storyofmylife or even made-up ones like #supergladourblogcommentsaretimestamped

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think this mandatory blog posts + mandatory blog comments business is genius! Especially in a literary criticism class. A bunch of little posts to friends is a lot less pressure than one or two huge essays. We can feel free to experiment and take risks with informal literary criticism...at the same time that we are building friendships!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'd like to hear more about how the Twitter experiment worked. And Charly, please fill me in on Les Liaisons Dangereuses in tweets! incroyable!

    ReplyDelete