Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Netflix of Books

I had not yet formed any opinions about Goodreads because I had not spent much time on it yet. Sitting down on Friday with my laptop, waiting the two hours between classes with nothing to do, I fell in love with Goodreads. How amazing is it that I give a book a ranking and it supplies me with more books that I might like to read.
It's like Netflix for books!
I learned that I know myself really well and I know my taste in literature. I found it very interesting to see that when I said I liked a book, and it gave me four suggestions, I had already read at least two of the suggestions! It was gratifying to see that 1) This website clearly works and 2) I know myself just as well as it knows me.

6 comments:

  1. I never did think of comparing Goodreads to Netflix, and my family and I watch a lot of Netflix. We watch way more movies than we read books, but I'm sure we're not the only ones who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! No. I certainly watch more movies than I read books. And one way that it isn't comparable to Netflix, but should be, is that it would be lovely to pay eight dollars a month and have access to any book you want on any mobile device. How could would that be??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If reading on a mobile device is what you would prefer. I like holding a book that I'm reading.

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome comparison. I wish I could have books sent to me to read. I really like Goodreads now, though. It is such an ingenious way to make books more accessible (did I spell that right??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of had the opposite experience with goodreads. Not saying I don't like the site--I love it! But neither the goodread's nor my friend's recommendations are usually very helpful to me. I have strong literary tastes but so far they haven't been nicely wrapped up and labelled. But I did discover the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction through Goodreads. I think that out of everyone's tastes, mine most reflect those of the prize givers! I can almost never go wrong with a Pulitzer Prize book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting tool on goodreads is the ability to compare one's books with another person's and see how much your interests align. Find people on goodreads and use the compare books feature (you don't have to friend or contact others to compare their books to yours).

    By the way, here is a good overview of how goodreads works

    ReplyDelete