Saturday, June 1, 2013

One thesis in four different formats!


This is my attempt at writing my thesis in the five different forms. I have to say - it was harder than I thought it would be.



1. [Policy claim]
Many would argue that a theatre production is meant only to entertain, thereby dismissing anything serious or dark in nature. Nevertheless, it is not only worthwhile but necessary to attend productions containing dark themes and serious material, as they educate those in attendants on the reality of human nature.

2. [Definition claim]
A quality theatre production is not simply meant to entertain but to educate and edify audience members.

3. [Comparison claim] (this one is also a psycholanalytical claim)
I am COMPLETELY at a loss here, any suggestions or tips? I don't have a clue how to write my thesis as an evaluation claim.


4. [Evaluation claim]
Although some might say that Night Mother by Marsha Norman is an unsuitable play to produce for the general public, it is in fact an excellent play and much can be learned from the main character's plight.





5. [Cause / Effect claim]
Unlike attending a musical or a comedic play performance, plays that touch on the darkness of humanity result in an education for the audience - those who attend such performances are edified in more ways that one.


I can tell even now that I won't use a few of these formats of thesis statements for my paper. I really felt like I was driving the struggle bus for a couple of these.

7 comments:

  1. The thesis statements you have are pretty good for an attempt though. I think your definition claim was stated well. I was thinking, however, with how you stated that drama can have dark themes about it, I was thinking of the musical "Jekyll & Hyde".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fourth claim lacks the problem the others have of being too broad. You can bring into your discussion of a specific work some of the general concepts you want to explore of the propriety of certain kinds of drama, but I urge you not to start with so general of a claim. Can you make an argument for a specific kind of work for a very specific audience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely made the claim in person about this specific play--Night Mother for a specific audience--BYU students/people in Utah County. I think narrower is better and more interesting. "Much can be learned:" that raises the question, "what?" What aspects of human nature do you think Night Mother specifically raises?

      Delete
    2. Thanks to you both, Dr. Burton and Charly! Both of these comments we very helpful to me. I certainly was thinking too broadly, which is stupid because I already know where I want to go with my paper and #4 is the closest to my ideas.

      Delete
  3. I like your last claim. I like that you are trying to argue that theater is not just for entertainment, but for teaching about life. I would clarify the specific work you're talking about (Night Mother?) and maybe change up the part about musicals since they can be dark as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn! That is so true! In fact, my favorite musical is Sweeney Todd - so I should know that! haha.

      Delete
  4. I really like your first and last claim. I love that you acknowledge the benefits of darker and more serious productions and I feel like you can really go somewhere with it.

    ReplyDelete