Thursday, June 20, 2013

How I Met the Learning Outcomes for English 251

1. Knowing Literary Terms.


I found the learning of literary terms easy when this class started, but when I was told to apply the terms into my analysis and arguments, and not just identify them, I realized that I didn’t know what that meant. The other thing which I found myself lacking in was bolding the literary terms, but I was making sure to make a habit of that. I wasn’t perfect at it, but I was starting to get the hang of it.
I realize, however, that with the taking of two different literary classes, I was also going over things in my English 291 class when I didn’t really realize it. I wish I had the files to back that up, but computers and I have not gotten along during this term, and I have lost 95% of the work I had saved on my desktop.


2. Know Literary Genres and texts.


For the genres which we read, or partially read, for this term, and sub-genres, I have included the following:
Fiction:
The Hobbit (Fantasy)
Oroonoko; or the Royal Slave (Novelette)
Poetry:
Beowulf (Epic)
            Do not go gentle into that good night (Vilville)
            Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Bob-and-Wheel)
            Faerie Queen (Allegory)
            The Rape of the Lock (Mock Epic)
            O Captain! My Captain (Free Verse)
Drama:
            A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Comedy)
            Oedipus Rex (Tragedy)
            Twelfth Night (Comedy/Satire)
Nonfiction:
            Under Fire (Memoir/Autobiography)
            Die Bibel/The Book of Mormon (Scripture)
            Confessions of St. Augustine (Autobiography)

3. Write Literary Arguments.
Looking for literary arguments from past posts, I have these posts:
analyzing A & P, Greasy Lake, including my argument for the Book of Mormon being taught as literature.

4. Engage literature creatively and socially.
Looking back for creativity, it is definitely evident looking through the genres of poetry, drama, and nonfiction. But it was a process before I actually became creative with my works, and took a bit longer to become more social with the things that I was reading for English 251 (including English 291). I had to make an effort to be social.
Dead Poets Society, Thomas Dylan, Theatre vs. Theater, Socializing, Media and Family, and the Book of Mormon.

5. Use emerging tools and pedagogy.

Being social with what I’m reading and writing with others has been mostly positive. That’s how I’m choosing to look at it anyway. When it came to socializing for the Final Paper, I posted blogs onto Facebook, my deviantArt account, and of my wife. Socializing about literature, with my experience, so far, only occurs only if people actually look at your posts. Unless you’re posting pictures, posting a status, or looking at other peoples’ lives, you won’t be noticed.
My favorite social website overall, besides deviantArt, is Goodreads.com. I love this website, and I visit it several times a day to either add more books to my “to-read” list, update my status on books I’m currently reading, being able to comment and rate books, and to see what books that my friends are reading, and even recommend books that others should read, Taylor and I have exchanged recommendation to each other.
In addition to Goodreads.com, I do appreciate being able to look up authors and follow their works.

No comments:

Post a Comment